Re: Sambucus "Black Beauty & Black Lace"

Not to be discouraged, Tricia
Just sending along my experiences. Believe some of the problems with sambucus I am having is a regional thing. Obviously some others and doing just fine in their area growing some of the dark foliage cultivars. The one gold foliage I have remaining out here after about 4 years is probably going to come out and be replaced with a butterfly bush I do like and is a good performer.
I still have 3 elderberry that have the red berries to transplant this fall, so will have my elderberries for the birds and small mammals out with the vibrunums.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "pdickson" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>
That is discouraging.... if you can't grow it I don't know about me being able to our here on the prairie.
I have planted 2 this past year and they so far are doing great. One is the 'Lanciniata' that to me fills the need for a Japanese Maple (that won't live here very well) and the other is the 'Albo-variegata'. This will be my first winter for them.
Thanks for the information though. I will pay more attention to them..... that means give them more water.
zone 6b
western Ok