Ball Gardens

Some of you were recently discussing the Gardens at Ball.  There was an
interesting article in today's local paper about it - in the Business
Section.  Forgive me if I repeat something here; I only skimmed those posts
as I wasn't planning to visit.  They interviewed Anna Ball, president of
Ball Horticultural and Jeff Gibson, the marketing manager.  A major point of
the article was their concern about ...
"the shift away from the process of gardening to the idea that plants are
merely another product.  Little annuals were a pain to extract from those
36-cell flats, but you could nurture them and see them grow through the
summer and that was therapy for the gardener as well as the plant.  It's
moving from gardening to decorating.  I suppose some people think it's a
good idea, but we don't."

Also, "Another problem: We have a strong supposition that the number of new
gardeners coming in  is at a much-reduced rate than anytime in history.  My
mother (Vivian Ball) loved following fashion, and I remember one night she
was flipping through Vogue, and she put it down and said "Anna, fashion has
got nowhere to go'.   I'm wondering if gardening has nowhere to go."

Kitty