Re: shop lights

Kitty wrote:
Hmmm....I didn't look inside.  I think I've had these for various lengths of
time, 5 to 15 years.  Cheapies, about $10.
I just looked at WalMart; they have 3 kinds from $8 to $15, and they all say
electronic.  One reads: "cold-start electronic ballast".
I doubt I'd no haow to change the ballast anyway.  Just wondering why one
might last 20 years while another only a few years.
Which is better aluminium or electronic?  Or does it matter now since
electronic is all that seems to be available?
The starters are not concealed, but project out of the center ridge of
a 2-light fixture; if they're not obvious to the unaided eye, then you
don't have them and so must have electronic ballasts. The latter are
definitely preferable, if only for the lack of starters which have to
be replaced. Do you replace the bulbs maybe yearly, or are they all black
at the bulb ends ?
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W