weather

After a summer of serious drought, we are having a fall of excessive
rainfall.  I have said I would never complain of too much rain, but
this is getting to be more than enough.  At least I don't have to
worry about trees and shrubs going into the fall without enough
moisture.
Fall color is finally developing, though not as bright as usual.  I'm
sure that is the result of the drought summer.  Many trees have just
turned brown.  I don't quite know why it is so late.  When my son and
his family visited from Colorado last year so he could show his
western wife our beautiful fall colors, they were spectacular on
Columbus day. This year at that date there were only occasional
spots of color. Now, two weeks later, it is beginning to look bright.

We dodged a bullet on frost night-before-last. The temperature in the
morning was 34 degrees.  I haven't managed to get my big plants in
yet - thought I had a man coming to help, but he hasn't come yet.
Now that it is raining, frost is not so immanent, but could happen any
night.  Oh well, it's time.  I may lose a few big plants, but maybe it
is time to let them go, too.
Auralie    - NYZ5