Re: back from Jesse's NOW Jacobson's Organ

Amazing! I googled Jacobson's organ + cats and found lots more - in
layman's terms. Haven't got time to look at it much now but will
tomorrow. Here's the first one I found:

"Cats (along with snakes and a few other mammals) have a magnificent
organ called the vomeronasal organ, most oftenly known as the Jacobson's
Organ. It is located inside the mouth, just behind the front teeth, and
connects to the nasal cavity. Opening his mouth slightly enables the
Jacobson's Organ to open up the ducts connecting to the nasal cavity.
The appearance of the cat as he brings air into the Jacobson's Organ has
sometimes been likened to a "smile," other times to a grimace. The
Jacobson's Organ seems to play a large part in the sense of smell of a
cat, judging by its frequency of use around my house.

"According to Valeriy ILYICHEV, Doctor of Biology, in this article,
there are three hypotheses on the exact function of the Jacobson's
Organ. The first is to perceive the smell of food; the second, as a
"sixth sense" to help predict unusual occurrences, e.g., earthquake,
volcanic eruption; and the third is for perception of sexual odors -
pheromones. If I got a vote, I'd choose all three, judging by the
behavior of my own cats. "

Kitty

-- "Zemuly Sanders" <zsanders@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
Okay, I found it in a web search.   This is a pretty technical  (for me)
article.
zem

The vomeronasal organ (VNO) or Jacobson's organ (sometimes misspelled
"Jacobsen's") is an auxiliary olfactory sense organ in some vertebrates, all
of which are tetrapods. It is located in the vomer bone, between the nose
and the mouth. The sensory neurons within the vomeronasal organ detect
distinct chemical compounds, usually large molecules. Snakes use it to smell
prey, sticking their tongue out and touching it to the opening to the organ.
Some mammals use a distinctive facial movement called flehmen to direct
compounds to this organ, while in some other mammals the entire organ
contracts or pumps to draw in compounds.

Most animals with a vomeronasal organ utilize it in the detection of
pheromones, though some pheromones are detected by the regular olfactory
organ, and the vomeronasal organ seems to detect other compounds in addition
to pheromones.

Some scientists believe that in humans the vomeronasal organ is
nonfunctional and regresses before birth, as is the case with some other
higher animals, including cetaceans, some bats, and apes. These scientists
also believe that in adult humans, there is no neural connection between the
organ and the brain. Nevertheless, some evidence suggests that the
vomeronasal organ does not atrophy and remains functional throughout a
person's life. Thus, its function in these organisms and in humans, if
indeed real, is still somewhat mysterious.