Re: Ball gardens

Does this mean we can expect PALANON for friends of plant addicts?

On Oct 27, 2005, at 8:41 AM, Lynda Young wrote:

Hello, my name is Lynda and I'm a plant addict..............

Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:21 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ball gardens

I agree with what you've said, Kitty, and I didn't take it as bashing or

such. Being in the landscape profession...be it architect, designer,
or
maintenance, doesn't automatically make one a horticulturist. I think
more and more
though....at least from what I've seen, people that hire someone in the

profession are looking for someone that does have some knowledge.
People are
tired of the "cookie cutter" look, or such.

In general, though, I think design is an overall concept. People that
take
the time to actually come up with a design usually do some homework. I
tend
to think of people that go for the seasonal color alone, or copying
something
they see in a magazine to implement in their garden as more
"decorating"
than design. One can see the difference, I think.....a designed garden
seems to
have a purpose, a balance.....be it with repetitive plants or a
variety. A
decorated garden, like a home or even a wardrobe....doesn't quite
balance
out. It's more like a mishmash of things that don't quite "fit"
together.

I have come to realize that there are those that garden and those that
don't. I prefer the neighbor that at least puts out something, even if
it's
annuals, than not doing anything at all. I've also found that more
often than
not, those gardeners that start out with the annuals, will often grow
into doing
more things, and eventually realize there is more to gardening than
annuals.
Sure one winces at the choices, or the placement. Often it's just a
matter
of not having had someone to tell them. But they live and learn, or
have
someone that gives them advice or even shares plants.

Of course, unfortunately in a few cases, they turn into plant nuts who
have
way to many plants, where the idea of sticking to a design or a concept
no
longer wins out....and they are hopelessly and irreversably addicted to

plants. Meeting people who turn them on to even more types of
plants.....the
addiction then turns into obsession.....
surely there is medication for this??? 12 step program,
something??????
Help?
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/26/2005 11:01:16 AM Central Standard Time,