Original (?) posting re USDA zone map

Here's the first I can find from Avent, again to John Bryan who
posed the original question re applicability of the Zone Map:

Subject: Re: [pbs] Climate Zones.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:49:34 -0400
From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.ibiblio.org>

John:

	The new USDA Zone map is on the way.  I am copying a paragraph for our
June 2005 nursery email update about the map.

 I'm just back from a June 1 meeting with scientists from the
USDA-Agricultural Research Service to discuss progress on the new USDA
Hardiness Zone Map. While there are still a few kinks to work out, great
progress has been made, and we are looking at a hopeful completion by
years' end. The new map will be searchable by zip code or location and will
give 30-year average minimum temperatures, accurate down to 1 square meter.
Progress was slowed a bit since their top statistician was borrowed by the
Department of Defense to help find Osama. Not to worry, Hardiness Zone Map
files are still being sent back and forth from Iraq.