Re: Original (?) posting re USDA zone map

> Don't know; why don't you ask Tony himself ? But one of his messages
> says they are planning to do via the web just what you wish. And if they
> do, couldn't hort.net act as a proxy for it ? That is, if they put a
> zip lookup on their site, you could have a zip lookup box on hort net,
> transfer
> the zip to USDA web lookup, parse the result, and feed the zone back to the
> hort.net requestor.

Mostly because I don't care for the centralization of data.  It gives a
single point of failure and offers other sites way too much control over
it.  Next thing you know someone will start licensing it and then we're
all screwed.  :(  AHS did that with the heat zones.

I *do* have a database of all zip codes in the US; I suppose I could write
a quick script to grab the hardiness zone information for each of those
zip codes from the remote Web site just once, then store it in a database
here.  But I'd rather not.  :)