Re: Cats--progress note

I was amused no end by the babies; not sure I want try to civilize young'uns, however. And not sure I want two, but not opposed to it either. Our first choice is a non-black [Beans was black] spayed female not de-clawed.

The lady at the shelter said: "Bring your wife in. Eighty-seven cats will jump on her and say "Take me! Take me!'

And I said, "I know. That's what I'm afraid of!"

On Oct 31, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Would your preference be a single cat, Jim? I enjoy two, partly for their
antics together, but also to keep each other company. However, I've read
that if you got two, like the ones you saw, their ability to warm up to
people will depend greatly on how much they've been handled by people from
the time they're born. Cats that have been mainly around other cats during
those first months may tend to be cat-cats. If they've been handled by
people, who've cooed and cuddled them, they have a greater likelihood of
being people-cats. It's fun to watch the antics of the 2, but if they
ignore you in favor of each other's company, you may end up with an empty
lap. But if they like human attention, well, both you and Ms. Fatma could
end up with individual lap warmers who also have a feline friend to keep
them busy when the laps aren't available.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 12:00 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Cats--progress note

Went to the shelter today, mostly to see what they had. Can't actually
choose a cat without Ms. Fatma's concurrence.

There were two kittens--probably same litter, 2 months or so old--in
one of those two-cell cages together. They had a thing to sleep on that
was about the size of a dinner plate with a fat-cushy donut type edge.
Looked like it was made of terry. One of the kittens crawled under it
and, of course, that made a lump in the bottom of it. The other kitten
saw the moving lump and smacked it, which cause the kitten underneath
to jump up, and that caused the kitten who did the smacking to jump
backwards, tail over tea cups. then dive into the other cage cell. Wish
I'd had a video camera.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W