Re: Re: still having technical difficulty

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: still having technical difficulty
  • From: "Gene Bush" genebush@otherside.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 09:06:24 -0400

We have pretty much stopped going to the big box stores. We now call or visit the locals in the next town over. What they do not have they will order for you.. and the price is not that much off the discounters. There is someone who knows what the hey they are talking bout, and they will deliver at reasonable rates... sometimes nothing if they are headed in your direction with something else.
We have experienced one too many frustrating experiences at the big box stores... and have to drive out of our way for the experience. Welcome back Mom & Pop.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Yep. A decade or so the policy at Home Depot (and other box stores) was to
at least have one experienced, licensed person, in each department.
Sometimes these were semi-retired plumbers, electricians, etc. The rest of the work
staff in that dept. would be sent to "Home Depot college of....." to learn
about basics of that dept. and the items offered. Competition and decline in
economy, plus more than likely serious greed, forced the head offices to cut
back the higher paid experienced people to one per department. In past
couple years they have gotten rid of every one of these professionals......and
replacing them with young, inexperienced, lower paid people. Used to be one
experienced department head per department, now a dept. manager might have two
or three departments, and only a couple workers. They are seriously
understaffed, and what staff they do have is very inexperienced in anything. I truly
do not undersand the logic in this at all. Makes no sense, since Home
Depot's business picked up when Lowes (thier major competition here) began
replacing experienced with inexperienced workers.

Many years ago, in San Antonio, there was an older man on the radio every
week for an hour answering hardware and repair questions. He is the owner of a
local hardware store. After several box type stores moved into SA, the
radio station took him off the air. This was some years now. Recently on a
visit to SA, I heard him on the radio again, with his daughter, who has followed
him in business. They were again answering questions, with the majority
coming in from frustrated folks that had gone to the box store and not been able
to get info. These folks were willing to pay more at the Ma & Pop store for
the items, just to get info.
Perhaps this is a good thing.