Digest response - Theresa's Mom and Alzheimers

Theresa, I feel for you too (regarding your mother). My dad's mother had
Alzheimers and my mother's mother had dementia. Now MY mother is
slipping away and won't get checked. She is forgetting how to spell her
kids' names and birthdays, and can't remember basic things. My dad knows
that she is slipping but if he says anything to her she gets defensive.
*sigh* I read everything I can get my hands on to AVOID getting it. I
take after my dad's side of the family (very strongly) and if my
grandmother had it...I run a chance of getting it too. I am constantly
trying to work my brain...reading, cross-word puzzles...and eventually
learning a new language (when I get the chance).

(FYI - on a sad note tonight, we lost one of our dogs. Please say a
prayer for Wallace and my daughter. She did not know he was under her
car and he is so BIG he couldn't crawl out from under it in time. She
didn't know he was out of his yard so she didn't think to "count heads".
We had to put him down today because the damage was so bad. We are both
in tears tonight. Gardenchat is like family to me...so I curled up with
my computer tonight - with a box of kleenex)