From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:05 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Roses and tetanus

One of my garden club members who is a florist but not a gardener has
been told at her hospital that anyone who works with roses should have a
tetanus shot every five years instead of the usual seven.  I come from a
background that equated tetanus with barnyards and puncture wounds like
stepping on a nail.  Any wound that bled feely was considered no threat
of tetanus.
I guess by extension a rose prick could be considered a puncture wound,
and if the rose had been fertilized with manure, there could possibly be
a connection.  But it seems to me that the threat would extend to all
gardeners - not just rose handlers.  Any thoughts or information on the