To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:05 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Roses and tetanus

One of my garden club members who is a florist but not a gardener
has been told at her hospital that anyone who works with roses
should have a tetanus shot every five years instead of the usual
seven. I come from a background that equated tetanus with
barnyards and puncture wounds like stepping on a nail. Any
wound that bled feely was considered no threat of tetanus.
I guess by extension a rose prick could be considered a puncture
wound, and if the rose had been fertilized with manure, there could
possibly be a connection. But it seems to me that the threat
would extend to all gardeners - not just rose handlers. Any
thoughts or information on the subject?
Auralie