Re: Social security overflow, change the law

As retired military (31 yrs), I have always felt that the complainers
have no inkling of military life. Would they be willing to leave in
less than 24 hours to a hostile environment halfway around the world?
Would they be willing to risk their lives for people who think they
are exploiting "the system"? Would they be willing to risk their
lives to protect people they do not know, who speak a different
language, and who may never thank them? No one joins the military
with the expectation they will get rich, and some die before they can
ever collect their pensions. I have no regrets about my decision to
serve. I was a member of a community with a sense of mission and
purpose. Double dipping? Those folks earned their pensions, and if
they have contributed in another job, haven't they earned that
compensation too?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Oct 5, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Gene Bush wrote:

> Perhaps times are changing...
>    I doubt it, but. The general public has always resented public
> employees and see them as loaded up on benefits and pay they can
> not have. Nothing further from the truth, but ...... Double
> dipping... retiring from the military with one pension and still
> being young enough to retire from another government job has always
> been resented and the employees seen as rich at the public expense.
>    I worked for 27 years postal system, 4 years military. When I
> take SS it will cut my other retirement to just about nil. I
> retired out at 30% of my gross from the postal system. .... 12
> years back at $750 a month.  Who can live on that? and if you add
> to it you are a rich person who is bankrupting the country. No
> dental benefits, I pay half my medical which is mostly a plan so I
> will not pay more than $2000 a year from my own pocket.
>    Public servants have never been treated well in the US that I am
> aware of. Perhaps now that the public's tail has been saved once
> more at the expense of public servants lives some good will may
> last another year or two until the laws can get changed.
>    On a rant here this morning.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>

>>> 15 years of social security will pay her a whopping 5% of her