Re: replacement tree (TX)

Pam, I have pretty much everyone of the trees I mentioned to you,  except the
Eve's Necklace and the Madrone in my yard ....so if it can take  my clay soil
and flooding rains, I'm sure it can take yours too. I can't grow  Rosemary or
lavenders, even in pots.....so the trees are a bit more forgiving  than the
plants.  The only one that I have in somewhat of a raised bed, is  the Desert
Willow.....and  only then because I have it in an area where  water runs off if
the back yard floods, so didn't want it to be in standing  water.
I don't know if the Wax Myrtle would grow well for you.  It does need  quite
a bit of water.  It doesn't mind overwatering at all, but if it goes  through
periods of drought without supplimental watering it shows it right
away.....it is not as full and lush with foliage.   It is evergreen, and  recovers with
new growth though once it rains again.  The one thing I  dislike very much
about this tree is that it suckers something awful.   It is a constant chore to
have to cut off the suckers that literally come up all  along the root system.
In it's native habitat it forms thickets.  The  best examples I've seen of
this in use in a landscape is in a confined space,  with little area, like next
to a walkway in a thin strip.  This gives it  little room to sucker and it
adapts well to pruning.  It is naturally  shrubby, but can be pruned to form a
hedge or a small tree.  The berries  are much sought after by birds, and you can
boil them to make bayberry  oils.
 I thought you had this Viburnum???  The Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum  definitely
grows in your area and I love the blooms on the  Viburnum.  They are highly
recommended for Wildscapes.  I guess  I've never really been a big admirer
(other than the blooms in spring) because  they are such a slow grower and remind
me of a Ligustrum or such, with  the glossy green foliage.  The Rusty Blakchaw
does have great fall  color though.  So....I think it depends on what you want
and what you  already have, it's your landscape, Pam, whatever makes you
happy is what you  should go with.  Whatever makes you happy, makes us happy.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 10/8/2006 11:02:30 AM Central Standard Time,