Re: Banana update

Don't know if this is always the case, but it's been my experience. The plant will put out an offset. When the offset reaches a certain size, the plant will flower and fruit. Once it flowers and fruits, it dies. I don't know what happens if the offsets are separated from the mother plant when they are young--that is, if a certain degree of maturity in a still-attached offset signals to the mother plant to bloom [matricide?]. I think something like that probably occurs; all of ours that have bloomed have also had intact offsets that were full grown or nearly so.