From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 5:43 PM
To: Gardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] OT/son coming home from Iraq...

Kathy wrote:------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:55:41 EDT

From: Cornergar@aol.com

Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT/son coming home from Iraq

Jesse, Have been thinking so much about you and Brandi and Neal and all

the heartache there. Some days I wish I could believe in prayer. I hope you

do and that it's helping. Just know how much your friends are with you.
Kathy

------------------------------
Thaks Kathy. I do believe in prayer. I am certain that my son and his
platoon have been safe because of all the prayers that have been sent out on
their behalf. I've seen prayer work in my life over and over again.

And when I needed to clear my head I used to either work in my gardens or
clean something to death. But when my son left for boot camp...I just didn't
find much joy in being in my gardens anymore. Now my gardens are more work
than pleasure which makes me sad. I hope that I get my love for gardening
back. It's weird....yesterday I had blocked off the whole day to go outside
and get my gardens weeded and "winterized" and I kept putting it off and
putting it off....but today when I went out for lunch I just wanted to be in
my gardens so bad because it was beautiful outside.

I finally did go outside yesterday...and it dawned on me. The kids used to
come out and talk to me when I was outside working. When they were little,
they liked to "help" me. As they became teenagers they weren't as interested
in it, but would still come outside every now and then. We had some of the
BEST times when we were in my gardens. My chest and heart hurt when I
thought about it. They are all gone now. I mean, the girls live at home but
they are never here. They work and go to college.
Some nights they don't get home till 11:30 and I'm already in bed. Neal is a
man now, and won't ever be back home to stay for any length of time. I
realized that going out there reminded me how much I miss my kids and the
good times we had outside. I felt so alone and just cried.
Empty nest syndrome....bad. I know that will pass too. At least I figured
out what is bothering me about it...and can get past that. I just had to go
out there and face my true feelings when I

was weeding. I kept asking myself, "why do I feel so sad when I'm out here?"
"Why do I feel so empty?" If you think about the questions long enough...the
answer comes to you.