Re: uh-oh freezes

Kitty, not surprising, we have found that one night of a freeze, after  weeks
or days of warm weather usually doesn't hurt the plant at all, might  damage
some foliage...but generally the ground is not frozen yet and the plant  is
hydrated and warm enough not to be damaged.
It is after days of really cold weather, and when the ground freezes that
the damage occurs.
Since 1989 we haven't had a really bad winter, the temp. dips down to   or
just below freezing at night once a month or so never harm the plants other
than the foliage of some. Even two years ago when we got 6 inches of snow, none
of the plants froze except for a few seedlings that were coming up.  Of
course the next day it was warm again. The temperatures are usually very  warm up
to a sudden drop in temps, and then right back up again, so the ground  never
freezes, thus the plants, even if they sustain damage to the foliage,  never
completely freeze.  I suppose it would also depend on exactly how low  the temps
get.....when we do have freezes, they don't get down past the  upper 20's if
that....and then only for an hour or two.
Be interesting to see, if you do the experiment on these two plants, at  what
point they do get damaged....how many days of cold weather preceded the
freeze, how low the temps got, etc.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 10/14/2006 11:02:20 PM Central Standard Time,