Re: Quake

Yeah, Big Island. Although some reports said other islands [i.e. Maui] also felt it.

On Oct 16, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Cathy Carpenter wrote:

I assume that the event was on the "Big Island"?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Oct 15, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

I'm glad to hear that too.  Jesse's brother and youngest sister
live in
Hawaii.

On 10/15/06, Zemuly Sanders <zsanders@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
I saw that on the Yahoo news.  The general consensus was the
electricity
outages might be a result of torrential rains.  Who knows?  I'm
just glad
there are no deaths reported -- so far.
zem
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 3:58 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Quake

A friend in Hawai'i writes--

 It felt like being in a car - tumbling over a cliff - with the
shaking
- but no body tumbling - just seemed that the house was violently
shaking, twisting, etc.  However, no windows broken.  Lots of
pictures
are off the walls.  Stuff on shelves fallen off.

 One good sized mirror in one of the bathrooms came down and
shattered.
Books all over.  One good-sized tv (about 27") fell off its stand.
Shit - lost a large Ming ginger jar that fell off a cabinet.

 So will be doing some clean up and re-arranging today.

 No power.  No radio stations (from car radio).  Reports are that
there
are no tv stations on - but I'll be checking that in a bit.  Land
phone
lines are working here - or I couldn't be connected to the internet.
Am on generator - as land electricity is out.

 Just had another aftershock about 2 minutes ago.

 Sand Gulch - that connects us to Honoka'a is closed - as enough big
rocks, needing heavy equipment, will have to be used to clear out
the
stuff.  We took a cruise through the neighborhood about an hour
ago -
had to clear some small rocks off the road in a couple of places
- and
one good sized rock - about 40 pounds had to be moved from the
middle
of our driveway.

 Thanks for asking.  We're alive.

 ku