Re: Weather and Garden stuff

Here's a quick answer from Seeds of Change.  The softneck grows and stores
better in the hot and humid South so I like to use it.  I have braided
softneck and hung it in the kitchen where I use it daily.  Most of the
time, it lasts until my next crop.  The hardneck does not.  Also, I have
found that if you harvest the garlic just as the leaves bend to the ground
and before they turn brown, the garlic seems to last longer.

From Seeds of Change:
Hardneck varieties: Large easy-peeling cloves form around a stiff woody
stem. Rich aromatic flavor is not too spicy. Once the garlic begins to grow
the curling tops can be removed for a culinary treat and to increase
production. These are the preferred garlics for more northern climates.
Typically can be stored 3 to 6 months.

Softneck varieties: Otherwise known as braiding garlics, these varieties do
not produce a flower spike. They are more productive and adaptable to
warmer climates than the hardneck type and generally have a spicier flavor.
Softnecks can be stored for a year or more under proper conditions.