Daylilies

I really wish that I had more time during the school year to contribute to
gardenchat!

Anyway, of my 450 daylily cultivars, 250 are dormants, about 100 are
evergreen and the rest are semi-evergreen. Many of the evergreens are
popularity poll winners all over the country! Others are known to be less
than stellar growers in the most northern regions. So, I have to say that
dormancy or lack of it is not always a reliable measure of how well a
daylily will do for you.  I like to see a daylily blooming in a northern
garden before I purchase it.  Also, if you stick to buying daylilies from
northern growers, at least you know that it should grow for you.  The same
holds true for southern growers.  If a cultivar is hybridized in the south,
I wait to see how it does in my area before even considering purchasing it.
Also, I wait until the price becomes more reasonable which may take 5 -6
years! Some of the newer forms hold their value for a much longer time.

You can check out the popularity poll winners of the American Hemerocallis
Society (the organization that registers daylily names):
http://www.daylilies.org/AHSpoll.html#2005.

Almost all the pop poll winners are $6 - $10 daylilies.  I grow nearly all
of the 2006 winners. You can google them and look for a seller who carries
most of the ones you want. One of the best places to acquire good varieties
is at a local club sale. You can find a club near you on the AHS webpage:
http://www.daylilies.org/daylilies.html. We sell plants from $3 and up. Many
favorites are CHEAP to purchase!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York