Re: Folk in the NorthEast OK? check in time.....

We had heavy winds on Saturday and Sunday, but not much rain.  On
Saturday morning our power went out at 10:00 AM.  It was raining and
blowing, but we decided to go ahead and run errands, but we found
that our little road was blocked because a tree had fallen over the
power lines, breaking a bunch of them.  We went back and reported
the breakage.  In about an hour a ConEd truck turned around in our
drive (we're near the end of this short road) and we assumed the
break had been fixed.  I put together some lunch, and while we were
eating, a neighbor drove up and told us there were no lines down -
what was the problem? The rain had stopped, so we went on our
errands, expecting power when we got back, but no.  We hitched
up the generator which runs the refrigerator/freezer, furnace, and
water pump but were low on gas, so only ran it for an hour.  Built
a fire in the fireplace, as the temps were dropping.  Called ConEd
every hour to request updates, bug them, etc.  They kept saying
the power had just not been turned on at the substation, and
would be on by 6:00.  At 6:00 we called again, and as we were
speaking to them, the power came on.  Now why did it take
hours to turn the power back on at the substaion when the break
had been fixed promptly?  More mess!

In a message dated 10/30/2006 4:52:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,