Re: checking in / happy fall!

These aren't the "eating kind" of quinces, Jim.  They are small -
golf ball-to-tennis ball size, hard and very sour, but they make
beautiful jelly.  I grew this bush from a fruit I put in my pocket
in the Golden Gate Botanical Garden in San Francisco in
1868.  The blossoms are deep orange - much brighter than
the usual ornamental varieties.  This spring a landscaper saw
it in bloom and got very excited - it was just the color she was
looking for.  She managed to dig out part of the root, and the
shrub has looked better for it this summer. She didn't offer to
pay me for it, but had her crew  do some extra work, which I
guess was fair.
Auralie

In a message dated 10/02/2007 10:35:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,