From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:34 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baby chics update...

OHMYGOSH...I picked the WORST day to put her outside for her "first day".  I
feel like a horrible mother.  After I pried her away from my neck and put
her down to play with the others..she finally ran off and started  pulling
at Burmuda grass and chasing bugs and I went to work.  When I got home it
was DOWNPOURING rain, thunder and lightening everywhere.  The guineas were
fine (I'm sorry, they are just stupid birds, but I get them because they are
great bug eaters - and my last group left our farm for the neighbors farm
because all of our females had been killed by owls or hawks or coyotes or
WHATEVER).  Anyway, the baby guineas are running all helter skelter in the
chicken coop, but I didn't see the two baby chics.  My heart just sank.
Just then, I lifted then inside, drop-down hatch that lets them go into the
enclosed area, and there they were...the black and yellow babies.  They were
soaking wet and shivering all over.  I scooped them into my shirt to keep
them warm,
 chased stupid guineas all over the coop trying to catch them.  Ughhh.  When
I got them inside under the heating lamp, my sweet little yellow one was
just laying there, shivering.  I dried her off and put her under the heat
lamp for awhile.  Then I came in an hour later and picked her up and sat
with her for almost 2 hours, making sure her body temp was warm enough.
She's FINE now...but what a horrible first day.  I didn't have the heart to
take her outside today.  The temps dropped because of the rain.  I think
I'll wait a day or two.  I am totally out of my head crazy about that
chicken.  Something is wrong with me.

Andrea Hodges <andreah@hargray.com> wrote:
  So did she ever get down and wander around or did she stay under your
hair?