Re: Baby chics update...

I don't think you are not nuts, but if you are you're in good company.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baby chics update...

OHMYGOSH...I picked the WORST day to put her outside for her "first day". I feel like a horrible mother. After I pried her away from my neck and put her down to play with the others..she finally ran off and started pulling at Burmuda grass and chasing bugs and I went to work. When I got home it was DOWNPOURING rain, thunder and lightening everywhere. The guineas were fine (I'm sorry, they are just stupid birds, but I get them because they are great bug eaters - and my last group left our farm for the neighbors farm because all of our females had been killed by owls or hawks or coyotes or WHATEVER). Anyway, the baby guineas are running all helter skelter in the chicken coop, but I didn't see the two baby chics. My heart just sank. Just then, I lifted then inside, drop-down hatch that lets them go into the enclosed area, and there they were...the black and yellow babies. They were soaking wet and shivering all over. I scooped them into my shirt to keep them warm, chased stupid guineas all over the coop trying to catch them. Ughhh. When I got them inside under the heating lamp, my sweet little yellow one was just laying there, shivering. I dried her off and put her under the heat lamp for awhile. Then I came in an hour later and picked her up and sat with her for almost 2 hours, making sure her body temp was warm enough. She's FINE now...but what a horrible first day. I didn't have the heart to take her outside today. The temps dropped because of the rain. I think I'll wait a day or two. I am totally out of my head crazy about that chicken. Something is wrong with me.

Andrea Hodges <andreah@hargray.com> wrote:
So did she ever get down and wander around or did she stay under your hair?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:39 PM

But ya gotta know...she is SO sweet. When Neal and his girlfriend were
here, they could not get over how sweet she is. She sits with you and
watches TV. I have a picture of them holding her while they were watching
the Saints play football last week. The other chics will "tolerate" us
holding them, but she actually WANTS to be held. When I open up their
container in the morning to change out the water she jumps up on me or on
the edge and runs over to me. When she hears my voice somewhere in the
house, she chirps for me until I come in there to see her. It's adorable.
Cool Chicken reincarnated.

Pam Evans wrote:
you are so cute w/ your little chicks dear. too funny.