Re: Baby chics update...

Not a horrible mother. Just one doing the best she can. You can't tell what the weather will be, or that they'll stay out in it. I've always been surprised when the birds have decided to be outside in the wet.

Tell me what you did to get rain, please.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baby chics update...

OHMYGOSH...I picked the WORST day to put her outside for her "first day". I feel like a horrible mother. After I pried her away from my neck and put her down to play with the others..she finally ran off and started pulling at Burmuda grass and chasing bugs and I went to work. When I got home it was DOWNPOURING rain, thunder and lightening everywhere. The guineas were fine (I'm sorry, they are just stupid birds, but I get them because they are great bug eaters - and my last group left our farm for the neighbors farm because all of our females had been killed by owls or hawks or coyotes or WHATEVER). Anyway, the baby guineas are running all helter skelter in the chicken coop, but I didn't see the two baby chics. My heart just sank. Just then, I lifted then inside, drop-down hatch that lets them go into the enclosed area, and there they were...the black and yellow babies. They were soaking wet and shivering all over. I scooped them into my shirt to keep them warm, chased stupid guineas all over the coop trying to catch them. Ughhh. When I got them inside under the heating lamp, my sweet little yellow one was just laying there, shivering. I dried her off and put her under the heat lamp for awhile. Then I came in an hour later and picked her up and sat with her for almost 2 hours, making sure her body temp was warm enough. She's FINE now...but what a horrible first day. I didn't have the heart to take her outside today. The temps dropped because of the rain. I think I'll wait a day or two. I am totally out of my head crazy about that chicken. Something is wrong with me.