Re: Baby chics update...

Well, I have three hens and a rooster, and five babies - and I'm not sure if they will be chickens or roosters!!!  I don't know how to sex them when they are this young.  But I will tell you that I'm pretty sure two of them are hens because of the way they scratch around.  And the youngest (and tiniest of all) is a rooster I think.  He chases the guineas (that are 4 or 5 times his size) and other chics around like he's boss hog.  He reminds me of that little chicken hawk up against Foghorn Leghorn.  He just has no fear and does NOT want to be handled, thank you very much.

Wow..your drought situation sounds pretty bad Daryl.  I'll try to send some rain your way!!

Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
  We have 18 chickens at the moment. 10 older birds plus the 8 chicks I bought
this spring.

We're not as bad off as we might be. When they ran county water past our
place a few years ago, they said it would be $50 to get a meter then, or
$500 later, so we got the meter. Of course they forgot to tell us that there
would be a minimum charge whether we used it or not. After getting billed
for - I think it's 3000 gallons per month for several months, we dug a ditch
and put in a water line to the house.

At least we don't have to do as we did in '86. That year, Bill had to bring
5 gallon buckets of water from the shop, and he showered there, while I used
the shower at the gym. We had enough water for cooking and for 1 or 2 loads
of wash per week if I saved the wash water for flushing. We've had the pump
dropped about 20' lower since then. Shows how dire our drought is.