Re: Baby chics update...

I have Rhode Island Reds this year. Sometimes I get Australorps. I've gotten Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Lakenvelders and some others, too. Most have been good laying hens. Have you ever considered a layer assortment from Murray McMurray? Some fun ones sometimes.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baby chics update...

OH NO!!! I hope my cute little yellow chic doesn't turn out like that!!! They are not all the same kind, I have two black hens and one gray, and the rooster is a game rooster so no telling what his background is. We just got them for fun..and so we could have fresh eggs. They aren't real prize-winners or anything. I'll probably sell most of them this spring (except my cute little yellow one) and get Astrolorpes. They are so pretty, and good egg layers.

The lake out where Pam lives (Kaufman Lake?) was almost all dried up. They showed pictures of boats laying sideways on dry dirt, where there used to be water. It was sad!!!

Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
 Are your chicks all the same kind? I've found a lot of variation in
behavior from one breed to another, but not so much in attitude. One of our friendliest chicks turned out to be our meanest rooster. Oscar used to ride on Bill's shoulder when he was doing chores. He later would attack and flail
away at us for no apparent reason.

Re the drought: The lake that serves as the reservoir for our part of the
state (and provides water downstream for navigation, water for other cities
and preservation of several endangered species) is losing a foot of water
per day. It's almost as low as it was when they were first filling it after
building the dam.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 10:12 AM

Well, I have three hens and a rooster, and five babies - and I'm not sure
if they will be chickens or roosters!!! I don't know how to sex them when
they are this young. But I will tell you that I'm pretty sure two of them
are hens because of the way they scratch around. And the youngest (and
tiniest of all) is a rooster I think. He chases the guineas (that are 4
or 5 times his size) and other chics around like he's boss hog. He
reminds me of that little chicken hawk up against Foghorn Leghorn. He
just has no fear and does NOT want to be handled, thank you very much.

Wow..your drought situation sounds pretty bad Daryl. I'll try to send
some rain your way!!

Jesse R. Bell