Definitely fall

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Definitely fall
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:12:19 -0700

It's definitely fall. I went into the vegetable garden and could tell it
got pretty cold Saturday night - the squash, eggplants, peppers, and
basil are almost all wilted and dead. Lower leaves on the tomato plants
are mostly wilted too. So it must have been in the high 30s, I am sure
we haven't had frost yet.  There wasn't anything left on the peppers -
some jalapenos I can still salvage - and the squash had not been
producing. I should have picked more basil before this but, oh well, I
didn't. I did gather up a few eggplants though. There are a few green
tomatoes but not as many as I expected.
But I didn't really get anything done in the garden. Too many other
little chores, plus we had a flooring failure in our entryway and
decided to tile the area. I sure wish I had time to plan these jobs.
There are so many options you can get in tile but by golly we were going
to do it over the weekend and that meant no time to special order tile,
explore decorative accents or anything. Always seems like every time we
start a project it's because something has broken and we're in a hurry.
We didn't get it quite finished - needs grout - but it does look nice.
I noticed foliage for the paperwhite bulbs starting to come up in the
front. I have a pretty blue aster (no idea what it is) that is just
starting to bloom, and some of the roses have a few blossoms. Salvia
greggii, Russian sage, and desert willow are blooming in the dry garden.

And my to-do list is still a mile long...

Cyndi