From: "Theresa W" <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent:
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Definitely fall

Fall is here too- cool in the AMs.  I have a collection of jackets and

sweaters in my car where I shed them either after arriving to work or as

soon as I get in the car at the end of the day.
> I'm sure your floor is going
to be nice, but I can certainly sympathize
> about the to-do list....

Theresa

> Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
>> It's definitely fall. I
went into the vegetable garden and could tell it
>> got pretty cold Saturday
night - the squash, eggplants, peppers, and
>> basil are almost all wilted and
dead. Lower leaves on the tomato plants
>> are mostly wilted too. So it must
have been in the high 30s, I am sure
>> we haven't had frost yet.  There
wasn't anything left on the peppers -
>> some jalapenos I can still salvage -
and the squash had not been
>> producing. I should have picked more basil
before this but, oh well, I
>> didn't. I did gather up a few eggplants though.
There are a few green
>> tomatoes but not as many as I expected.
>> But I
didn't really get anything done in the garden. Too many other
>> little
chores, plus we had a flooring failure in our entryway and
>> decided to tile
the area. I sure wish I had time to plan these jobs.
>> There are so many
options you can get in tile but by golly we were going
>> to do it over the
weekend and that meant no time to special order tile,
>> explore decorative
accents or anything. Always seems like every time we
>> start a project it's
because something has broken and we're in a hurry.
>> We didn't get it quite
finished - needs grout - but it does look nice.
>> I noticed foliage for the
paperwhite bulbs starting to come up in the
>> front. I have a pretty blue
aster (no idea what it is) that is just
>> starting to bloom, and some of the
roses have a few blossoms. Salvia
>> greggii, Russian sage, and desert willow
are blooming in the dry garden.

>> And my to-do list is still a mile
long...