Re: bulb pots

When we received new bulbs, tubers and rhizomes this time of the year we do not pot them up individually until late winter, early spring. Meanwhile we take boxes, line with a garbage bag and place a layer of potting medium on the bottom. Then we make layers of bulbs so they do not touch, put some more medium in and do the next layer until the box is filled. The box goes into our root cellar for the winter after labeling. Over winter most of the tubers will regain their root systems, be ready to have individual containers. Sure reduces storage over winter.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

Subject: [CHAT] bulb pots

I have a lot of bulbs I want to pot and overwinter for my sale next April. Most years that I've potted bulbs I've had no trouble with rodents. However, one year they went through every lily bulb. It happened the one and only year i wintered them in front of the house rather than the back. I have too many to cage, so I'm considering 2 options, both of which have a moisture drawback 1. in the Florida room which has same temp as outside at night but heats up from the sun during the day and faces southwest.
2.  under the house which I'm not sure would get cold enough
In both cases the pots would not get the moisture from winter rain and snow that would be normal. Do you think I should just go ahead and store them outside with the 450 pots of perennials I have to overwinter? Narcissi, Allium, Ipheion, Lilium, Fritillaria.

Thanks for any suggestions.

neIN, Zone 5