So Cal's annual fire event

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: So Cal's annual fire event
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:50:12 -0700

Well, we're on fire again. There are about a dozen burning right now
around southern CA, but thankfully none right where I am.
We went up to the mountains on Saturday to help close down the camp
where we have been volunteering. Beautiful weather and beautiful
scenery. We brought Trixie the rottweiler with us, I'm hoping to get her
used to going so we can save some money on kennel fees, lots of folks
bring their dogs to camp. However I have not been very good at teaching
Trixie manners, and she is a very high-energy dog, but really it went
pretty well.
Sunday as we finished up all the chores we started to hear stories from
down the mountain. One volunteer learned she'd lost her roof to the high
winds. Husband and I were pretty apprehensive since we were driving the
camper and pulling a horse trailer as well.  We all headed out but when
we got to the freeway the wind had to have been 60 mph, the camper was
almost tipping and the trailer swaying. We drove very slowly. Then it
all came to a dead halt, miles of taillights and nothing moving, and up
ahead we saw a lot of smoke. We managed to get off and find a parking
lot with shade for the horse trailer (thank you IHOP). After about an
hour the traffic did start crawling, the on-ramps opened, and we heard
if we took side streets for a little ways we could get around the jam,
which turned out to be an 18-wheeler on its side. That didn't fill us
with confidence as the wind was even worse, but we continued to see
semis and motor homes all around us so we kept going. Then we passed the
second jam, which was a fire that had burned right across the freeway
and was roaring on the other side! But traffic went on and so did we.
Took forever but we finally got home.
Ten minutes after we collapsed inside the phone rang, my mother-in-law
was hysterical. Turns out both sisters-in-law were under evacuation
orders because of another huge fire.  We ended up hosting one sister,
her son, and four cats for the night. But their house is fine this
morning, the fire passed to the west and hopefully we'll not have any
new ones today.
All in all, yesterday was eventful, I'd rather not do that again. It's
just terrible out there though, it's so dry - I am going through gallons
of hand lotion - and it's still very windy today.
Oh yes, obligatory gardening content - we planted some daffodils at the
forest camp next to the kitchen. I would have done native iris but my
sister likes the daffodils and it's not like the camp itself isn't
foreign. Although maybe I will look for some iris for next year.