From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of sundrops@earthlink.net
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 6:20 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] roll call.... now the west coast

Hi everyone, I'm fortunately far away from the fires (as is Theresa).
There
has been non-stop coverage of the fires in Malibu and San Diego on TV,
and I
get an LA news station at night and heard a grim assessment of the fires
in
Santa Clarita last night. It's a gripping story in a horrible sort of
way -- they are so at the mercy of Mother Nature on this one.
Although our fall has been comparatively cool and wet, we have had
some
absolutely perfectly gorgeous fall weather including today, everything
mild
and golden with blue skies. I have done a small amount of planting of
shrubs and hope to broadcast lots of seeds this fall and early spring to

spiff the place up.
Now if I could get the crazed acorn woodpecker (they store their
acorns
in a granary -- many many acorn-sized holes made usually in big pine
trees)
(and they live communally taking care of the young) to stop pecking at
my
gable, I'd be all set.
--Barb, Grass Valley CA