Re: So Cal's annual fire event

OK, I agree, you should hook up the horse trailer. That's really scary. I'm glad her house was OK but I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been. I think I'll stay on the east coast-at least we get major advance warning with hurricanes, tornados are fairly rare and so are earthquakes. So far, our immediate area hasn't been too much of a fire hazard and we got a really good downpour last night. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] So Cal's annual fire event

I hope after Katrina a lot of rescue centers have made allowances for
the pets. And I have heard through other lists I'm on of the many many
places that have set up to take in animals, locally I know of more than
50 people who are offering space for horses, not to mention the official
livestock evacuation areas, and there are several animal rescues that
are opening their facilities for evacuees.
I mentioned my sister-in-law came with her four cats. But they didn't
have enough carriers for all of them, they ended up stuffing two in a
box. What if in the chaos they didn't have a box? Her daughter has four
cats of her own and they were not about to be put in carriers, her hands
are a mess from scratches. That must have been repeated thousands of
times by now. I know my two oldest ones hate the carrier, if they hear
us taking it down they vanish.
Anyway during the last fire, couple months ago I guess, husband was
teasing me because I was thinking we should maybe hook up the horse
trailer, but I didn't think it was all that funny. That takes 20
minutes. About 5 years ago my sister had the experience of running down
the road leading 2 horses because she didn't think it was all that close
and then suddenly it was in her back yard. Just pure luck the fire
missed her house that day. Scary.

Cyndi