To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bulb pots

Jim, Wish you would come up with an over-wintering structure for us guys in
the midwest that is foolproof (and we could afford). I have much the same
problem that Kitty mentioned with the lilies being ruined by little varmints of one
kind or another. Every year I try a few different strategies to outwit the
weather and the rodents. This year I have spread the surface of the lily pots with blood meal. But will this attract the raccoons? After the gal. perennials are thoroughly dormant I try to cover the whole batch with a tarp so that I
won't have crown rot from the ice and snow. But this provides a wonderful
protected home for so many little guys and by spring I find they have excavated the pots to feed on the roots! And all the time I'm saying " I don't think this is
the way the big guys got started." I do have 2 greenhouses that are packed
with gal. pots recently planted or 4 and 6 " pots that didn't get potted up but a lot has to be left outside. Gene, How did you manage without a greenhouse for
so long? Any and all tips and suggestions gratefully accepted.
Kitty, Can't believe you are already so organized for the winter. I guess I thought it wasn't going to happen. I know what's in store for me this weekend.
And need to do an inventory too.
I enjoy this list so much and try and keep up even when I'm not contributing. Hope everybody's kitties are well and happy. Zem, are you getting a night's
sleep yet?  Kathy