The greenhouse is ready

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: The greenhouse is ready
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:28:37 -0700

I never did get into either the front yard or the veg garden this
weekend, but I did get the greenhouse cleaned up.   Since our water
shortage was due to start Sunday I figured I had better do laundry on
Saturday, boring but necessary so no garden work got done that day. And
with husband on the water company board we had to spend time alerting
the residents and putting up signage (why didn't they do this a week
ago, I did not ask, sometimes it's better to keep ones mouth shut).  So
we were the water police stopping people from washing their cars and
watering lawns.  The water company president did her patrolling in a
horse-drawn buggy, and if only husband's horse wasn't out for training
we could have patrolled on horseback too. Which would have been a lot
more fun than the truck.
Anyway, the greenhouse is neatened if still rather dusty, I knocked down
all the spiderwebs and stowed away the pots and fertilizer bags so it's
ready for plants. Couldn't hose it down because of the water scenario
but that's okay. I moved a couple of the smaller patio plants in there
but it's been really warm, so I didn't move the bigger ones. I don't
have that many left now I really care about (poor lemon tree...sniff). I
thought about potting up a bit of my lemon grass - did I mention that
came back after last winter's Big Freeze - and I would also like to pot
up some of the Berggarten sage, but who knows what I will actually get
around to doing.  Oh yes, and I had a nice surprise, I had left a number
of pots of sedum stahlii in the greenhouse all summer; they were extras
and I didn't really have a place to put them. Well I forgot to water in
there since about August but the sedum still looks pretty good!
Obviously wanting a drink but not too bad. I think I will put them out
in the dry garden next spring and see what happens, maybe they'll like
it there.