To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - bird drama

When I was a little girl my parents found a great horned owl that was too
young to fly? or injured? (I don't really remember) standing in the ditch
out in the woods. We brought him home & kept him in a big old fashioned bird
cage. To feed him, Mom put on really heavy leather gloves & poked at him
with scraps of raw meat until he'd snap at it. Once it was in his mouth,
he'd swallow it. She made jesses for him & took him out in the yard several
times each day to stretch his wings. She brought him to school for a brief
show & tell to my classroom & my brother's. Once he got all his adult
feathers & was strong enough that he was really pulling & flapping like he
was flying, we all loaded up, took him back to the woods & cheered as he
flew off into the forest. Then we got in the car & drove away so he wouldn't
come looking for us to feed him. We had never heard of raptor rehab then
(50s), but we wanted him to have a chance. Dad worked in the woods & always
watched for him when he went that way. He would see an owl there
infrequently at dusk & always hoped it was "our" owl.