From: holmesbm@usit.net <holmesbm@usit.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now train trip- was Sad cat news
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 10:22 AM

I wish someone had come up with the idea when we were losing wood to the
beetle...most of ours just rotted.

He
> > timbers it before the tree rots and is turning it into molding, trim,
etc.
> > The wood has a blue color where the beetles have tunneled into the
tree.

how much
she
> > had
> > > improved. I'm so thankful, but think it must have been an
error at the
> > lab.
> > > Anyway, we went and came back - two nights on the train each
way.  I
> don't
> > > ever want to have to do that again.  We had the deluxe suites,
but
even
> > so
> > > there wasn't much room to move around.  Our meals were
brought to us
so
> > > that we didn't have to stagger up and down corridors.  The
showers
> didn't
> > > really work that well, but we were able to clean ourselves.  The
ride
> was
> > > really
> > > rough part of the way, especially at night when the train went
much
> faster
> > > than during the day.  The layovers in Chicago weren't bad -
there is a
> > very
> > > nice waiting room for sleeper passengers.  They carried our
baggage
for
> us
> > > and gave us rides to the cars.  On the way back we were
scheduled for
> > six-
> > > hour layover in Chicago, but the train was four hours late from
Denver,
> > and
> > > when we got to Chicago they put us right on the train out- we
were in
> the
> > > waiting room less than half an hour.  Didn't get any supper
that
night,
> > but
> > > that
> > > was not a big problem.  I'm just thankful to get home and
find
> everything
> > > right
> > > back here.
> > >
> > > Colorado was beautiful, as always.  They said the color was at
its
peak,
> > and
> > > it's true the aspens were lovely.  We had seen fall colors
in the West
> > before,
> > > and I always remembered aspens as being pure gold.  This year
there
was
> > > lot of pinky-orange color such as I had never seen before.  My
son who
> > lives
> > > there said he had never noticed it before.  What would cause
this?
> > Weather?
> > > Soil conditions?
> > >
> > > We took a couple of great day-trips - up to Estes Park and
across the
> > divide.
> > > On the West slope there is a great deal of damage from pine
beetles -
> > entire
> > > slopes of dead trees.  I assured my son that the forests will
recover
-
> > I've
> > > seen
> > > such damage in Chincoteague and other places where regrowth was
> incredibly
> > > quick - but he is sure that the area is done for.  Of course he
is
> > concerned
> > > from
> > > a real-estate viewpoint since they are considering buying a
weekend
> place
> > in
> > > the mountains.  And of course Ma wouldn't know anything
anyway.

> > > The grandchildren were fun, but after six days I was exhausted.
Two
> more
> > days
> > > on the train coming home didn't help.  Now I am beginning to
catch up
> bit
> > by
> > > bit.  Nice to go, but good to be home.
> > > Auralie
> > >

> > > In a message dated 9/29/2008 7:52:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> > > gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:
> > >
> > > How long of a layover in Chgo?  I am thinking you will be at
union
> > station, so
> > > becareful!... Not the greatest part of town.  I would offer to
come
get
> > you,
> > > but most likely I will either be working or tending to mother
who had
> hip
> > > replacement last week.... but you never know!
> > >
> > > We did steam engine trains for a week all throughout Colorado.
It was
> the
> > > BEST way to see the countryside.  (I realize you are doing
amtrack or
> > such).
> > >
> > > Donna
> > >

> > > --- On Mon, 9/29/08, Aplfgcnys@aol.com <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
wrote:

> > > From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [CHAT] Sad cat news
> > > To: gardenchat@hort.net
> > > Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 3:37 PM
> > >
> > > Thanks so much for all your support and prayers.  The issue is
not yet
> > > resolved.  Today the vet was surprised at how much better Sandy
seemed,
> > > so she recommended putting off a final decision.  The problem is
that
we
> > > are leaving on Thursday for ten days, and don't want to
burden the
> persons
> > > who will be feeding the cats, and also don't want to leave
Sandy
> untended
> > > if she is likely to go into a decline.  Today she seems like her
old
> self,
> > > but
> > > the vet says that may end at any time.
> > >
> > > Some time ago there was a discussion here of train travel.  I
didn't
pay
> > > too
> > > much attention since I had no experience to share nor any plans
for
such
> > > travel. However, since we have given up our usual semiannual
trips to
> > > Chincoteague, Chet has decided that we shoud visit our youngest
son in
> > > Colorado.  Flying is such a hassle, and he is just not up to the
long
> > hikes
> > > through airports, so he and #3 son decided we should go by
train.
This
> is
> > > a major undertaking - involves a layover in Chicago and two
nights on
> the
> > > train.  We have a reservation in one of the larger rooms, and
they
> promise
> > > "red hat" service to handle our baggage, etc.  It
would have been
> > > less
> > > expensive to fly.  Anyway, Chet is quite excited at the
prospect.  I
> dread
> > > it,
> > > but have no choice.  I have laid in a stock of mysteries to keep
me
> going.
> > > At least the visit should be fun.  We are promised that our
youngest
> > > granddaughter will play in a soccer game - three-year-old soccer
has