To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Groundcover juniper

Timely discussion.  Last Sunday I planted a double line of 10 Juniperus
Horizontalis "Wiltonii" interspersed with a dozen JH "Youngstown" which
has a more upright habit.  We're hoping to control erosion on the east
side of the pole barn.  Full sun, soil has some clay in it.  The Blue Rug
wasn't all that easy to plant with all the spreading branches so close to
the soil level, but they're finally in the ground.  Good thing - we had
our first hard frost last night.

My husband (non-gardener) picked it for the fast growth rate, cold
hardiness (to z4), and the 8 foot spread - all good reasons.  But it is
soooooo boring!  When he's not looking I'm going to stick a few small
ornamental trees between the lines.  Has anyone planted Malus Sargentii
"Tina"?  Saw some in the nursery where I just bought some big trees, and
they're cute as a button!

Mardi
Zone 5a

"andreah" <andreah@hargray.com>
Sent by: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
10/21/2008 05:23 AM
Please respond to
gardenchat@hort.net

<gardenchat@hort.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [CHAT] Groundcover juniper

Cyndi-junipers all prefer full sun to my knowledge, however in your dry
climate they may do OK. Here, in the shade they get too wet and then
usually
die of some fungal disease. In the right spot they are gorgeous.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI"
<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>