From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:49 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation

We have hot, dry weather in Oklahoma...and they do just fine.  They just
happen to be a local "favorite" around here...mostly because they can take
the extreme weather conditions.  We go from hot-dry, cold-freezing, wet
springs...and sometimes they get powdery mildew from too much rain, but it
doesn't take the leaves off or make them look bad.  They are just very, very
hardy ornamental trees.  They are used a LOT in the Dallas, Texas area for
landscaping...and it doesn't get much hotter and drier than THAT in the
summer.  The trunks never get really BIG...so I guess that's why they are
considered ornamental type trees and used for landscaping.  And some places
chop them down really short every winter (like they do in Dallas), which
keeps them from getting really tall.  If you just let them go natural, they
get BIG...just like a red-tip fortenia (sp?).

--
Jesse R. Bell