RE: got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:00:27 -0700

They grow pretty quickly for a xeric plant. I got one of mine from HCG
about 5 years ago, it was maybe 7 inches tall. I was a little dismayed
but planted it outside anyway, and now it's just as tall as the others I
got from the nursery, they were about 5'. They're all about 8' now.
The description in the catalog for the HCG one said it had bigger
blossoms and longer bloom than the common ones; I haven't really found
that to be obvious. But there is one down the street with almost solid
magenta blossoms and it's in a spot I can get to it. I'm going to try
and take some cuttings off it next spring, if I can get them growing
I'll finish off my back fence plantings with them.

Cyndi