Re: got my loquat planted/ now need tree recommendation

About 10 years ago when I was looking for Texas native plants for our  native
garden, there were many varieties available.  It was difficult to  find the
actual native Desert Willow,  Chilopsis linearis.  There were  many more of
"improved" varieties  available....which were supposed to  be faster growing,
larger blooms, different colors etc.  The native has  large trumpet blooms
that are white with pink (light to  dark).   Named varieties at the time were:
White  Storm, with white blooms; Dark Storm, with dark burgundy blooms; and
several  others, such as: Marfa Lace, Tejas, and Alpine that has shorter wider
leaves.  There is another that is supposed to be very robust and easy to  grow
called Bubba.  Available also is a cross between the Catalpa  and the
Chilopsis, called a Chitalpa that was supposed to be an even better  landscape
than the native, combining the traits of both genre into  one.  Back then, the
NPSOT and the TXDOT were very strict about native  plantings being the true
native.   After seeing the other types  growing, I wish I had just gone ahead
with one of the "improved" varieties,  since they seem to be far more suitable
to a landscape....faster growing, larger  blooms, less temperamental to
changes in soil, water, etc.    I'm  sure that now there are probably even
varieties available.

My suggestion is to go with a named variety, rather than the pure  native.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/27/2008 10:02:47 AM Central Daylight Time,