Re: Greenhouse problems

Propane heaters are the cheapest to operate but maybe the most difficult to regulate. I would not use an electric that was not rated for outdoor use--too risky.

On Oct 30, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Jesse Bell wrote:

O.K., any suggestions for a heater for my greenhouse? Normal floor heaters really eat up the electricity and I hate that. It's a "portable type" and
not the best in the world.  I can see where some of the panels are not
fitting tightly and will have to work on it some. We found it on Craig's List for $300.00. They bought it for $600.00 and never used it much. So - here I am - a first time greenhouse user and I know NOTHING. Right now I have a heat lamp in there because the temps are only low at night. No need
for a fan just yet because I can vent the windows.  I guess I'll
eventually have to get the automatic vent openers.
We how a power outage last night, 2:00 in the morning, and my first thought was "cr*p, I hope it comes back on soon or my plants will suffer". I liked it better when I could drag them in the house...but my husband was tired of
that.  So - HE is the one who bought the greenhouse.  I feel like I'm
leaving my children in the cold or unattended.

I can pretty much guarantee that your ficus will be fine.
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95
CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 1:49 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Greenhouse problems

I discovered the fan in my greenhouse wasn't working when I checked my
plants over the weekend.  It must have gotten into the 100s in there
even with the door open. The ficus and geranium got pretty crispy and a couple succulents even got toasted. Good thing I hadn't moved everything in yet. Husband says a bearing seized up and (insert technical details)
anyway, I had to order a new fan. We'll see if the ficus leafs out
again, I have more geranium plants and the succulents will just have to
look ugly for a little while.  Could have been worse.
I filled up the dumpster again with the rest of the big juniper we took out, and filled up the regular green waste can with the dead basil. Just didn't realize how big those plants were until I started pulling them out. At least they smell good! We opened the gate for the chickens so
they can scratch around in the veggie garden area.
I've pretty much decided against the blue rug juniper for my bare spot
in the front.  I really have never liked junipers of any kind and I
would rather have something more decorative. At least, that's what I'm
thinking today. I have a long history of dithering.  :-)

Cyndi

--
Jesse R. Bell

Island Jim