Where is everyone?  I haven't seen a Chat message in days.
It's bad enough having the most dismal, miserable autumn
weather I can ever remember - rainy and in the 30's for the
past two days and predicted to continue throughout the
weekend - but not hearing any life from this group makes
me really depressed.
True, there's not much going on in the garden. We haven't
had a real frost yet - just nights down to 34 or 35 for the
past week - but things are looking pretty bad. Autumn
color isn't as brilliant as some years - more yellow that
red.  That probably reflects all the drab overcast days of
the so-called summer. I've never had a poorer year in the
garden, and everyone I talk to is saying the same, so it's
not just me.
We were away for three days last week - went up to the
State Garden Club Fall Conference in Binghamton, and then
on to make a quick visit to our son in Cortland near Ithaca.
We took in our bird feeders before we left because when they
are left out overnight the raccoons steal them.  Before we left
we had many, many goldfinches, plus quite a few purple finches
and other birds - also a big flock of downy woodpeckers, plus
a pair of hairy woodpeckers and a red-belly.  For the first few
days after we got back, there were NO birds at the feeders.
Now we have a bunch of titmice and a pair of cardinals at the
seed feeder, and one pair of downys have returned to the suet
feeder, but none of the other woodies, and not a single finch
of any sort.  I guess they found another feeder they like better.
Oh well.
Hope everyone is well, just busy raking leaves and planting bulbs.