Fall color

Fall color seems about at its peak here, but it has been slow in
coming, despite the very cool weather.  Just not enough sun, I
guess.  It has been gloomy and overcast so much of the time,
though not much rain has fallen.  We had a very light frost last
week, and two days of sunshine with temps in the 50s.  I would
have loved to plant my bulbs, but had an indexing job that couldn't
wait.  Haven't had a job since early summer, but this one looked
too good to pass up.
Fall color is brilliant today, even in the light rain, but it's mostly
yellow and orange - not very much red.  My dogwoods have been
turning since late August, but still have most of their leaves and
mostly purplish color.  The Kousa dogwood, however, has just
turned, and is spectacular in deep gold with just a touch of red
on some leaves.  Even the maples aren't the usual crimson -
more orange.  The only really red tree is an Oxydendron, which
is really a lovely deep red this year.  Of course the woods are
full of Euyonomous (sp?) alatus - the winged one, which is an
invasive alien, but is the one bright crimson spot in the bunch.
Auralie

In a message dated 10/21/2009 10:21:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,