Re: Rain!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Rain!
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:25:22 -0700

Must have been some storm, Auralie, from the accounts I've read.

On Oct 1, 2010, at 6:49 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

Didn't someone once say it never rains but it pours? Well, that's what
this summer has been like.  All summer was terribly dry - the worst
drought I could remember in the 40 years we've lived here.  Then, six
weeks ago next Sunday we had a downpour that brought us more than
six inches.  Unfortunately the ground was so hard and dry that much of
this ran off.  Then not another drop for five weeks.  My pond was down
to a mudflat, and big trees are turning brown and losing leaves. Then on
Monday we had a fairly good shower that gave us maybe half an inch.
Oh well, every drop helps.  Now it has been raining for two days and
the basement is flooded, which has happened maybe five or six times
in 40 years. There has been about eleven inches, and it's still falling. This will probably make up the season's deficit, but it's too late to do any good for this season's garden. It will be interesting to see what,
if anything, survives until next spring.
Auralie

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley