Re: Strange fall weather
  • Subject: Re: Strange fall weather
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:33:13 -0400 (EDT)

We've had strange weather all year, so will avoid that subject for
now........verdict is still out for what fall might look like, since we've only
had fall like weather for a week....and the speculation on winter is across
the  spectrum as well.  One thing everyone seems to agree with, unfortunately,
 is that it should be a dry winter, and the upcoming summer as bad or worse
than  we had.  I can't even imagine...so not thinking about weather!
I realize the discussion is on birds.....didn't notice much change in that
area, had lots of hummingbirds, however butterflies was a different story.
 One thing I noticed different this year (other than extreme drought and
prolongued heat) was that there were absolutely no Monarchs around all
summer.  Usually we have tons, more than anything else.  Also my  Pipevines
(Aristolochia) were not touched this year either.  With the  weather getting
cooler, I have just now noticed that the Monarchs are coming  back.  Some say it
is due to cooler weather up north and/or time of year,  that they are
migrating south.     Usually Monarchs can take  the heat, so to speak....and have
been around....true enough though, we are used  to having a week or two of
100's degrees, not months!
Anyone else notice more or less Monarchs this year???
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast