Re: Strange fall weather
  • Subject: Re: Strange fall weather
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:08:16 -0400 (EDT)

I had a few Monarchs this summer, but not many.  I maintain a stand of
milkweed, because it is supposedly the necessary food for the larva.
(That's the excuse I give people who scold me for keeping that "weed"
growing beside my drive, but the truth of the matter is that I love the
plant - think its blooms are beautiful, and its aroma when in bloom is
as good to me as roses.)  There is a Joe Pye Weed - yes, I grow lots
of "weeds" - outside my diningroom window, and I would see Monarchs
on that when it bloomed. What I found puzzling was that I found numerous
large colorful caterpillars of the sort I had always assumed were the larva
of Monarchs eating my rue (Ruta graveolens) plants.  None were on the
milkweed which was near the rue.  What was going on here?
In a message dated 10/26/2011 7:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,