Re: storm....+ bittersweet question
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: storm....+ bittersweet question
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:07:14 -0500

The best description of differences I have read is from William Cullina's Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines. He says "C. scandens has fruits in 2 -3 inch long clusters of 10 to 20, like small bunches of grapes hanging out away from the leaves, whereas the introduced bittersweet has little groups of 2 - 4 fruits alternating up the stems amid the yellowing foliage. The native species typically has narrower, ovate leaves ending in a pronounced tip, and Asian bittersweet has fuller, almost rounded leaves." The caveat -- there is evidence that the two are hybridizing, raising the possibility that the true native may disappear. To be absolutely sure you are propagating C. scandens, you should start with cuttings from confirmed, sexed (bittersweet is dioecious, after all) adult plants.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b