From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:10:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bermudagrass  wars

> ...the soil in my yard is black, beautiful<br>> loamy stuff...a storm
ripped a huge tree<br>> out of the ground by the
roots...<br><br>Hmmm....I bet clay soil would have done a better job of
Message ----- <br>From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 11:58
be blessed then...the soil in my yard is black, beautiful<br>> loamy
stuff...there is one tiny vein of clay that winds around through<br>> my
property but it is less than a few inches wide and so never causes
a<br>> problem. The only place I've ever had clay problems is one of my
beds in<br>> the front that I made a garden out of after a storm ripped
a huge tree<br>> out of the ground by the roots...left a fifteen foot
wide and six foot<br>> deep hole that I had to have topsoil trucked in
to fill...unfortunately<br>> it turned out to be extremely poor quality
dirt with a good portion of<br>> clay...I spent a ton of money on sand,
vermiculite, and burr compost to<br>> amend it that first year, covered
it over with landscaping cloth and<br>> planted it...have done no
amending since and this year when I was<br>> planting out there, I
noticed the soil is much improved...much lighter<br>> and blacker than
it was and full of earthworms. Of course, I don't do a<br>> thing to
discourage my free soil aeration done via burrowing animals so<br>> I
most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>> --Albert
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>